Savory Breakfast Bread Pudding
1/2 of a large yellow onion
1/2 lb chicken apple sausage
1 cup asparagus, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
1 loaf brioche or challah, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
01) One day before preparing the bread pudding, place the bread cubes on a baking sheet and cover it with a kitchen towel. Let it stand at room temperature overnight or until the bread is dried out.
02) The next day, in a large skillet cook the onions over medium heat with olive oil. Add your sausage. Cook for 6 to 8 min. Chop into small pieces. Set aside.
03) In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste until well combined. Mix in the asparagus, cherry tomatoes, sausage and onions. Whisk until well combined.
04) Butter a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Arrange bread in the dish. Ladle the egg mixture over the bread cubes and gently press the bread into the liquid. Sprinkle with freshly shaved parmesan cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 2 hours.
05) Remove the bread pudding and preheat the oven to 350 F. Bake the bread pudding for 45-50 minutes until slightly puffed and browned on top. Let rest for a few minutes and sprinkle with more parmesan cheese. Cut into squares and serve!