Irish Soda Bread with walnuts and Whiskey Glaze
Irish Soda Bread
4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon honey
4 tablespoon butter, cubed
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons whiskey
01) Preheat the oven to 425 F. Whisk together flour, salt and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
02) Work the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse meal, using a dough hook with an electric mixer or with a wooden spoon, mix together til combined.
03) Add in the honey and gradually pour in the buttermilk while the mixer is still on. Add in the raisins and walnuts and mix to just combined.
04) Dust hands with flour, gently knead the dough on a lightly floured surface to form a dough mound. If the dough is too sticky to work with, add in a little more flour. Do not over-knead.
05) Transfer the dough to a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a serrated knife, score a cross or an X on the top of the dough and brush the top with the egg wash. (The purpose of scoring is to help heat get into the center of the dough while it cooks).
06) Transfer to oven and bake for about 35-45 mins. If the the top gets too dark, tent the bread aluminum foil.
07) Whiskey Glaze: Mix together the powdered sugar and whiskey until it becomes a paste but still thin enough to pour easily.
08) Let the bread cool for about 10-15 mins and drizzle the whiskey glaze. Serve and enjoy!